Darien and Grace Oborn

Monday, October 24, 2005

Day 4 - A Few Bumps in the Road

Day 4 started out with a doctors appointment, which seemed innocent enough. What I didn't know going in is that the babies blood was cleaned in-utero by the placenta and now both of my babies livers needed to 'jump start'. One sign that their little livers aren't keeping up with demand is a build up of bilirubin that causes their skin to turn yellow. Both Grace and Darien began to pick up a yellowish tint and the pediatrician sent us straight to the hopsital for blood work. The results showed that Grace was high, but not in danger. Darien on the other hand did have high amounts of bilirubin and was prescribed 24 hours in the 'light box'.



He spent the next 24 hours in the light box, only coming out for food and diaper changes. He was visibly uncomfortable and I laid by him the entire night, trying to readjust the cloth that kept the light out of his eyes. The night was very long and very stressful. I did all I could to keep him in there as long as possible so that the light could work through his skin to break down the bilirubin and get it to a level that his liver could support.

The next day Darien was tested and his level came down from 13.8 to 11.9, well within the 'safe' range for his age (still measured in hours). I was relieved, but it was very difficult forcing my son to be in so much discomfort. Only the knowledge that it was for his own good and the love that I have for him allowed me to keep him in there all those hours without taking him out - which would have been the path of least resistance I assure you. I learned a vital lesson of being a father and what it is like to see your kids in pain. My own life now is far less valuable to me than that of my kids - there is no sacrifice too great or too costly that I would be happy to do for them both.

1 Comments:

  • DDC's NEW prenatal paternity test now makes it possible to get accurate answers in a safer way than ever before.It is of great use now a days as it always comes out with all true informations regarding the unseen things. As day by day people are more aware about DNA,as for its demand has been also more and more.DNA for Immigration

    By Blogger DNA Testing, at 6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home