Darien and Grace Oborn

Friday, October 21, 2005

The Journey Officially Begins

Day 1 - October 21, 2005

Today started out like any other day. The sun was out, not a cloud in the sky. Debbie and I made our way to the hospital where she was admitted and hooked up to a pitocin drip to help her contractions along. 10 hours later, at 6:06 PM, Darien was born, with a full head of dark, curly, hair and he topped the scales at 6 lbs 10 oz. 10 minutes later, at 6:16 PM Grace made her grand appearance. She was visibly smaller than Darien, weighing in a just 5 lbs 11 oz. Debbie gave birth in the Operating Room, which is standard proceedure for multiple births. We were all dressed in clean room gowns, which I haven't worn since my days in the BYU computer chip clean room. Below is a picture of me holding up Darien who is a whole 8 minutes old.

Within the span on 10 minutes, I was the father of two. When they first came out I was faced with the early dilema of twins: which one do I bond with first? I took time to bond with Darien while the nurses cleaned up Grace and then they were both wheeled out of the operating room destined for the nursery.

At this point, I shed a few tears (under my face cover) of joy and relief that Debbie and the twins did so well during the whole ordeal. I was especially impressed at the strength and resiliency of Debbie during the last few minutes of 'pushing'. Despite being nauseous from the epidural, she fought through and pushed like an Olympic weight lifter going after the gold medal.

The idea that two new precious souls were under by stewardship quickly began to sink in. A feeling of humility, fear, and gratitude came over me as I made my way down to the nursery to see how my two new angels were doing. Debbie's parents, my mom, and my friend Adam Edwards met me down in the nursery where the nurses observed the twins for any irregularities and bathed them for the first time.


Soon the babies were given the green light to join up with their mom for the very first time, and boy was Debbie excited to see them! All the hard work, the infertility treatments (including shots with huge needles!); it was all well worth it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home