Darien and Grace Oborn

Thursday, October 20, 2005

T-Minus 14 Hours and Counting

Tonight (October 20, 2005) Debbie and I received a call from the hospital letting us know that our doctor had scheduled us to come down and check in to the hospital tomorrow at 11 AM. All of the waiting, wondering, its all coming to an end. The time is near. Anticipation and worry are starting to build up. My every thought is on Darien and Grace, willing them to the safety of the delivery doctor's steady hands.

From this point forward, my life will never be the same. Yet, knowing that doesn't make that much difference. Having just turned 33, I've had over 11 years to wonder if I've got what it takes ... if I am truly "ready" for the responsibility. I may be wrong, but right now I firmly believe that there are only two necessary requirements to be a good parent, desire and time. I say desire because you have to want to be an all-star parent, but time is so often the thing that keeps parents from achieving that objective. I've worked exceeding hard with my best friend Adam Edwards to build a business that would allow us both the time we need to spend with our children.

Every day that I work, I work to free up future time with my kids. They'll never know about my time at BYU, working as a research and teaching assistant in the electrical engineering department, taking year-around school to finish the 5 year program in 3, the Masters Thesis which had to be written and rewritten 5 times. They won't have any remembrance of my first engineering job in Los Angeles, living in my parents' house, commuting to work at 4:30 AM. They also won't remember the time when I saved up every penny I had to buy our first house in Chino Hills - and when I was a few thousand short I invested my lives savings on DELL stock, which went up 10 points the next week and allowed us to get the house! They won't remember the time when I worked 50 hours a week for Cognigen, or 60 hours a week for eMaxDirect, or 70 hours a week for Telarus. They won't know that I risked everything and spent my life savings starting Telarus, which turned a profit just 1 month ahead of the time when Adam and my savings accounts would run dry. They won't even know that their mom worked as a Physical Therapist for 5 years before they were born. All of it will be a mystery to them - all they will know is that their mom and dad are always there for them, and that money just always seems to be there.

I can't wait to see them for the first time; to hold them, look into their eyes and see into their pure spirits. My parents worked very hard to put me in a situation where I could succeed. I likewise have worked very hard so that they can have all of the opportunities to do even better than me one day. The love of a father is something that can only be experienced, and now I am beginning to understand. 33 years and I have never felt like this before; scared, proud, full of love, protective, excited. Most of all, I'm excited that I'll have the time to share my life with my two angels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home